Lyme Art Association Statement on Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access
The Lyme Art Association:
- Strives to build a welcoming community that reflects our commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access in our exhibitions, programs, policies, management, and organizational culture.
- Aspires to be a space where all people feel heard and respected, and where people of all backgrounds and identities are valued and supported.
- Is committed to enhancing creativity through diversity, and to building a community that is respectful and responsive to the diverse talents, skills, and abilities of all people.
- Recognizes that we still have much room for growth, but pledges to continue learning, listening, and acting.
- Pledges to make this statement a living document that will spark conversation, planning, and action.
Inclusion is the act of creating environments in which any individual or group can be and feel welcomed, respected, represented, supported, and valued to participate fully.
Diversity includes all the ways in which people differ, encompassing the different characteristics that make one individual or group different from another. While diversity is often used in reference to race, ethnicity, and gender, we embrace a broader definition that also includes age, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, physical appearance, geography, and any other identifiers that make one individual or group different from another.
Equity encompasses the policies and practices used to ensure the fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all people, while at the same time trying to identify and eliminate barriers that have historically prevented the full participation of some individuals or groups.
Access refers to the commitment for everyone to be included in all programs and activities.